Thursday, September 23, 2004

Karma, Destiny, Fate & all that Jazz

By a show of hands who believes in karma? I certainly do. I've been told for as long as I can remember "what goes around, comes around", "you get what you give" etc.... For those of you who don't believe, really take a look at your life and the things that have happened to you. I'm sure many of you, like me, don't have to look to far back to see where karma has come back and bit you in the ass. I feel I'm basically a good person, but I have done not so good things. My self-preservation instincts are stronger than most, and I have a quick trigger when I feel myself being threatened in any way. My son, who is 7 months old, is already displaying an iron will that keeps me on my toes everyday. My mom says when she found out I was pregnant, she prayed I would get back what I gave her. If things remain on this track, it looks like her prayers will be answered. I wonder how karma ties in with fate. Fate is the supposed force, principle, or power that predetermines events. If you believe in fate, then everything that happens in our lives has already been mapped out and the choices you make are catalysts for that predetermined outcome. If that is true than it would seem that our choices really aren't choices at all. Does fate determine destiny or does destiny determine fate? Are destiny and fate the same exact thing? Being the willful, stubborn person I am, I'd like to think that "I am the master of my fate", but if that were true, wouldn't I be exactly where I want to be in life right now? These days with so many "choices" it's easy to see where mankind can be delusional enough to think we have a say in the grand scheme of things. This is not to say that hard work won't get you far in life, it will, just realize that when you get there it's exactly where you were meant to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home