Monday, November 01, 2004

Vote or Die!

We are on the eve of a very important, life-altering, world-changing, day. Tomorrow is Election Day and it doesn't matter what you believe in or who you believe in just vote. It's important. You matter, your voice deserves to be heard. You've probably all heard this fun little fact ad nauseam but really think about it: the last election was decided by about 537 votes. If you didn't think your vote counted before than you damn sure should now. So much is at stake this election. I feel the way my grandparents must have felt in 1961 when they had to choose between Nixon and Kennedy. (Before anyone gets upset, I am in no way comparing Kennedy and Nixon, to Bush and Kerry.) They probably felt the same anticipation that I feel now. I am so nervous that I have checked and re-checked my polling place, even making sure I'm registered although I know I am. My singular focus for tomorrow is voting. I am voting for my rights as a woman, as a young adult, as a mother, as middle-class, as a Black American, as an employee, I am voting for my beliefs, my son, my values, my country, my world, but most importantly I am voting because I have an opinion and I have a voice and they both count.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home