Thursday, January 20, 2005

Well it's official

Today Bush is being sworn in for his second term, and I am just as disgusted as I was for the first. So in honor, I am reposting one I did in September.

Disenfranchised

I usually don't talk politics. I think it's a very personal matter. I don't ask people who they vote for, or even if they are Democrat or Republican. I do however think it's important to vote. I've always felt strongly about that, but I’ve never felt as strongly as I do this year. I am a Democrat, whatever that means. What it doesn't mean is I won't vote for a Republican candidate if one comes along that I can believe in. Having said that, I can't believe anyone, Republican or otherwise would vote for Bush/Cheney this upcoming election. Bush is a liar. Plain and simple. He lied about the reason he went to war and he continues to lie about it even after everyone else has found out the truth. There were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. He knew it and his administration knew it. I have a theory that some Presidents secretly want a war during their term. Especially if things aren't going so well. Nothing like a war to make Americans forget the real issues. And you know what pisses me off? This administration and its supporters are giving the impression that anyone who speaks negatively about the war is unpatriotic or doesn't support our troops. I love this country. Wouldn't want to be anywhere else. I also support our troops, they are doing something I couldn't do and wouldn't unless I was forced to. Speaking up about the negative effects of the war on this country doesn't make me unpatriotic, it makes me American. Freedom of speech, remember? Our troops are over there for the wrong reasons; fighting a fight they can't win. This war is our generations Vietnam. This isn't the Wild Wild West where you can just ride into town on the white horse and shoot all the bad guys in black. It's a little more complicated than that. These days it's hard to tell who the good and bad guys are, so you can't just charge in guns blazing. It's like Bush is living out some childhood Cowboy and Indians fantasy. The evidence that he and his henchmen are taking this country on a slow ride to destruction is all around us. The job market is virtually nonexistent, healthcare costs are increasing, fuel prices are increasing, his incompetence is increasing and my anger is increasing. He's destroying our hard-cultivated relationships with the rest of the world, and making a mockery out of the United Nations. And you know the biggest reason I'm angry? Where the hell is Osama Bin Laden? How come his name hasn't been mentioned in months? Did Bush forget 9/11? Did he forget that not only was Bin Laden one of the masterminds behind the mission, he funded it also? The war in Iraq is a pitiful ruse to keep our minds off the real issues. Bush is pushing his own agenda under the guise that it's what's best for the American people. He's playing on our fears. Terrorism has become this administrations buzzword. Say terrorism and we immediately conjure up images of firemen and police officers digging thru the wreckage of the World Trade Centers. Mr. President, why has your administration lost almost 2 million jobs and fallen short of your employment prediction by almost 7 million? Terrorism. Mr. President, since you took office, 5 million Americans have lost their health insurance. Today, one in seven (45 million) Americans has no health coverage. Why? Terrorism. Mr. President why has your administration failed to provide the promised resources necessary for schools to meet the requirements of the No Child Left Behind Act, underfunding your own law by $27 billion? Terrorism. Mr. President... well you get the picture. And what ever happened to separating church and state? Bush is shoving his own religious beliefs down our throats. It's evident in his stance on gay marriages. I am proudly heterosexual. I don't know if being gay is wrong, in my opinion that's for God to judge. What I do know is it's wrong for the government to tell homosexuals they can't marry. Because the issue isn’t about homosexual marriage, it's about civil liberties. If the government can tell gays they can't marry who's next? A black person can't marry a white person? A Catholic can't marry a Jew? Sound crazy? Well think about it. The very definition of civil liberty is EQUAL protection under the law - EQUAL treatment regardless of race, sex, religion or national origin and your right to privacy and freedom from unwarranted government intrusion into your personal and private affairs. This goes to the very heart of the Constitution. If these rights are threatened then the cornerstone of American politics and democracy is threatened. Think about all those priceless freedoms we cherish in our country. Aren't they what make our country different from so many others?

So as election day draws near, really think about what's at stake here. It's not just partisan, it's not just about the have's and the have not's. It's not just about black and white, old or young, gay or straight, male or female. It's just about FREEDOM.


1 Comments:

Blogger greggy said...

My friend, trust me...we'll survive another 4 years of hiw P.O.V. trust me...God aint never took us as a people somewhere where He knew we couldn't make it...

12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home