Monday, November 15, 2004

Mr. Powell leaves Washington

I'm sure everyone will chime in on why they think Colin Powell resigned from his position as Secretary of State. Just like I'm sure we will never know all of the reasons why.

I would like to think that he and the 5 other Cabinet members who have tendered their resignation got an attack of conscience. I would like to think that they along with the other 49% of the country could not sit idle while President Bush abused his power. I would like to think that Mr. Powell realized that he could not in good faith stand by a man who told bold-faced lies to the people of this country.

In a way I'm kind of sad that he is leaving. It gave me a little peace of mind that someone in the Bush Administration had some integrity. I kind of looked at him as the watchdog. Whatever the reason, I'm sure the repercussions of these resignations will be far-reaching. I'm just anxious to see what is going to happen. I'm pretty sure Condoleezza Rice will take his place as Sec. of State. That makes me sick to my stomach. I cannot stand her. I mean watching her speak before the September 11th panel made me ashamed to be a woman, and an African-American, and a human.

Good luck Mr. Powell, I may not have always agreed with your politics, but I have always admired your integrity, your intelligence and the way you did your job with dignity. I always felt that you wanted what was best for our country, that you put that first above power, above pride, above party. Something I wish you could have passed on to the rest of the Administration. Especially to the President.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home