Thursday, December 02, 2004

I've Got the Music in Me

Yesterday, I had to get up early and go to the hospital to get my biopsy done so I put on some Earth Wind & Fire to calm my nerves. I've loved music since I was a child. I remember sitting at the top of the basement steps listening to the music coming from my mom's house parties. Smokey Robinson & the Miracles, Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes, The Shirelles, Little Anthony & the Imperials...Remember Freddie Jacksons Rock Me Tonight? Earth Wind & Fires After the Love is Gone? Remember Shalimar?

Some people are made for each other,
Some people can love one another for life
How about us
Some people can hold it together
Last through all kind of weather
Can we?


Remember when songs were about love. About making relationships work? I'm only 28 but I can appreciate that shit. I cannot stand music today. Bling, Cristal, cars, guns, gold teeth.....I can't relate. I don't have any of that. Don't want it. I work a regular 9 to 5, pick my son up from day care, go home and cook dinner. I can't relate to songs like Money Aint A Thang. Shit my cell phone just got turned off. I can relate to those feelings of falling in love. Loving and wanting that man so bad you can taste it. I can't relate to letting a man "tap that ass". I can relate to being made love to until I'm so sweaty our bodies make that sucking sound. I can relate to being held and kissed. I can relate to my man's fingers in my hair, on my back, between my thighs. I want to hear Between the Sheets, Fire & Desire, I want to hear

Would you mind if I touch,
if I kiss, if I held you tight
in the morning light
Would you mind if I said how I felt tenderly tonight
again cause

I never ever felt this way in my heart before
Love has a holiday in my heart tonight

Would you mind if I looked
into your eyes till I'm hypnotized
and I lose my pride
Would you mind if I make love to you till I'm satisfied
again cause

I never ever felt this way in my heart before
Love has a holiday in my heart tonight


I grew up with a love of music that is so deep. I have a song or a record (that's right I have records) for every mood I'm in. I can just listen to a song and it will trigger in my mind a smell, a memory, a feeling, a time. Some songs are etched so deep, I can tell you where I was when I first heard it, who I was with, and what I had on. Music is so powerful. I know this will sound crazy but it's almost as if there is a soundtrack to my life. If I play it you can almost feel my experiences and understand the things that shaped me into who I am today.

Thank you Jill Scott, D'Angelo, Eryka Badu, Musiq Soulchild for trying to bring it back. I miss turning on the radio and hearing a song I can jam to, or a song I can play while my son is in the back seat. I long for those beautiful lyrics about love, life, and relationships..family and friends. I long for those times when Queen Latifah let us know it was Ladies First, when EW&F gave us Reasons, when the Isley Brothers let us know what was going down Between the Sheets, when KRS-1's Bridge was Over, when Rakim Knew we Had Soul. Maybe if we can get back to where we started the world would be a better place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home