Thursday, December 09, 2004

Good Men

I want to take the time out to say thank you to my son's father. He is so good to me and our son, that I thought it was due. He has always been there for me and our baby and I know I can always count on him no matter what. We are raising our son together even though we are apart and that's very hard to do. I know my son and I are blessed to have him and I know a lot of women who aren't so lucky which is sad. He has never disrespected me in any way, and has never been dishonest with me. When I ask him for something for our child, he will move heaven and earth to get it, and if he can't then he's upfront about it. I respect that.

My friends have told me horror stories about having to take their children's father to court, about them ducking phone calls....the works. I am so grateful I don't have to go thru that. The only reason I call myself a single mother is because we aren't married. In every other aspect it's me and him all the way. We talk pretty much every day, he always wants to know how his son is doing. Because we live in two different states he misses out on a lot so pretty much every night I give him a recap on our son's day or any new developmental milestones. When we do see him they play and wrestle and laugh at each other. Their bond is so special.

A long time ago I picked men who were bad for me. Liars, cheaters, emotionally withholding, verbally abusive. It didn't take me long to get over being treated badly and look for someone who was good for me and good to me. Along the way I've met some really good men. Some became lovers, some became friends. (I didn't mean for that to rhyme but it was nice right?:) I'm glad he was the one I had my baby with.

He's funny and goofy, strong and kind. He has a good heart and really cares about people. I can talk to him about anything with out being judged and I can be myself around him. I can walk around in bloomers, with my hair looking a mess, and he doesn't give a damn. He has held me when I was sick, encouraged me when I was down, got on my ass when I was being selfish or stubborn. There are times when he gets on my last nerves (especially when he thinks he's always right) but he always means well. He's my best friend and I thank God for him.

To all the men out there who aren't being a father to their children, you're missing out on so much. And to those who are, you're making the world a better place for every child whose life you touch.

I love you Benjamin

5 Comments:

Blogger Sivad said...

Hey Meka,

That was beautiful. It's nice to hear that you still feel positively about your baby's daddy (lol). It sounds like he is way more than that, which is a good thing and unfortunately not as common as it should be.
BTW, love your blog and thanks for stopping by my site too. I'll be back

6:26 PM  
Blogger Liza Valentino said...

Wow...you are truly blessed.

(That is the cutest pic at the bottom, by the way)

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is truly beautiful and touching.

11:40 PM  
Blogger Apocalypse said...

man...the cool part to me is that you really appreciate him....wow...thats all I can really say. You are truly blessed.

11:08 AM  
Blogger Mary said...

I'm with you - calling myself a single parent feels wrong in a way because I don't feel single at all because his Dad is so much in our son's life. My son is 10 and I always say like you say - we're raising him together but apart. You want the best for your kids and to have that extra bond that so many have to do without somehow gives you peace and lightens the load in a way. Nice post.

10:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home