Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Women & Sports

I love basketball. I mean love, love, love basketball. I've been a Sixers fan since I was 7 years old. I've been to countless games, and even had season tickets at one point. So given all of that, why is it so impossible for people to believe that a woman can genuinely love sports. Every time I tell someone that I love basketball, I get one of two reactions. Either I get quizzed on players, stats, team history (which I know a shitload about so don't try me) or they imply that I go to games to get men or impress a boyfriend. That really pisses me off. It is possible for a woman to like sports, just like it is possible for a man to dislike sports. Every summer when I was a little girl my Pop-Pop would take me to games when I stayed with my grandparents in Philly, and I developed a love for the game. Philly fans are like no other, and the atmosphere was unbelievable. I cherish those memories, and when my son is old enough, I intend to do the same with him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home