Thursday, July 07, 2005

getting reacquainted

You ever feel like you just need a break from everything. That’s where I’ve been… on a break. I wish I could come back and say I’ve been doing fantastic things like traveling or going out but I haven’t. I’ve just been raising my son, going to work, and taking care of my business.

The things that prompted me to take a break are no longer an issue in my life and I’m thankful. Even though I haven’t been doing anything exciting, I have been doing something meaningful. After a lot of introspection, I realized I’m not the same person I used to be. I know you’re thinking no one is the same they used to be, and that’s true. What I’m saying is that I’m not who I used to be and that’s a bad thing. I’m not going to go into detail but let’s just say I took a long hard look at myself and didn’t like what I saw. Everyone who’s been in that place before knows how hard that realization is.

So now I’m getting off my ass and doing something about it. I made a list of goals, all very reasonable and attainable, and have starting working towards them. For me writing things down has always been better than just thinking them. To have something tangible to read when you lose sight of your goals and to be able to check them off one by one when you reach them is very rewarding.

My first goal is a financial one. I need to save and budget more. I get up everyday and go to work so I need to see the fruits of that labor. I want to have more money saved at the end of each month. I really would like to become financially independent for my son and myself. I want the money that his father gives me every month to just be a bonus, not something I actually need. Money is starting to become an issue with us, not because he doesn’t want to provide for his son, but because sometimes he can’t. So it’s up to me to make sure that my baby’s needs are met. In budgeting and tracking my money, I can see where everything is going and make the necessary adjustments. Anyone ever have those moments of wondering how you spent so much money and have nothing to show for it? Well I was having to many of those.

I’m not going to go down the list and name all of the goals I’ve set for myself. Some of them are personal and some boring but I will mention some more of them and how I’m doing with them in later posts.

I hope everyone is having a good summer. I have so many blogs to catch up on so don’t be surprised if you see a comment from me. Take care.

4 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

Hi luv. Welcome back to the Blogosphere. Glad to hear that a sista was taking care of business. Our blogworld is a benefit, a luxury provided to us to speak to our peers about life, love, politics and whatever and everything else. But it has to be put on hold for the more important things in life like your son and even more, yourself.

Truer words have never been spoken when you mention that "To have something tangible to read when you lose sight of your goals and to be able to check them off one by one when you reach them is very rewarding." So true sister. So very true.

So in the meantime, do your thing and never lose sight of your goals. Your little man is growing so big. Hope you've replenished your energies well. Take it ez and have a great weekend.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

glad to see that you're back, it's good to take a break sometimes, welcome back!

12:47 PM  
Blogger YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

I.am.trrrrrrripping! Welcome back Miss Meeeeka! :o)

We all need to pull up, so we can put things into perspective.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Welcome back!!

Change is good, and as long as you know what needs to be 'changed', you are starting on the right foot.

I have a slight problem with the fact that sometimes your child's father 'can't provide for him'. I, too am a single parent. I don't know what sort of relationship you have with his dad, but I've learned that the more you take ANY excuse for him not providing for his son, the more excuses he'll give.

My daughter's father had ONE chance to 'not be able', and that was it!!!! I did what I had to do. He now obeys the court order and pays MONTHLY. Why did I go that route? Because I don't have a choice, and he shouldn't either. I will always have to 'be able'. With him, I will see to it that nothing will will be more important than him providing for his daughter~not the new wife, or new kid.

It makes it A LOT easier that there are no feelings between us (and no hard feelings, either). We are connected through our daughter, and just as I provide, so will he, by force or by choice, but he WILL do it!

I apologize for the long comment.

5:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home