Wednesday, February 09, 2005

St. Bitter-tine's Day

This Valentine's Day will be spent with my son. The only person I'm involved with romantically (and I use that term very, very loosely) is my son's father and he's gone back to Philly. So Peanut is my Valentine this year. How pathetic is that?

I know Valentine's Day is just one day, and I know it's been commercialized and maybe it shouldn't matter to me if I don't get anything...but it will. I'm not gonna lie. I have never had a good Valentine's Day. Ever. What makes that statement even sadder is that I've had a boyfriend, with the exception of last year, for the past few years. We either ended up arguing and didn't celebrate or he had to work.

Everyone says it doesn't matter, but how many of you deep down inside get a little jealous every time the florist shows up at your job with flowers and teddy bears for some other chick? I know I do and I'm not ashamed to admit it. Ok maybe a little. But let's be real about the shit. No matter how much I try not to, every time the door opens to my office, I get a little twinge of anticipation. And every time the delivery guy says someone else’s name, I get a little twinge of jealousy and disappointment. I can't lie...I want it to be me. I'm not a materialistic person. Anything I want, I can buy it for myself, but on Valentine's Day I want the dozen roses sent to my job. I want the big ass teddy bear and the balloons. I want the romance and the dinner by candlelight. I don't care if it's fish sticks and french fries. Put that shit on the good china and light some candles.

Anyway...

Last night my baby was sleeping and I hear this noise, so I go in to check on him and he was laughing... in his sleep. He was cracking up like he was at a comedy club. It was too cute. Of course my camcorder wasn't charged so I missed it. I am such a scatterbrain when it comes to stuff like that. When I first found out I was pregnant I put a camcorder on my list for Christmas. I just knew I was going to record every moment, every milestone. Half the time I don't even remember to charge the thing up. I even forgot to bring it to his birthday party.

I’ve been thinking about starting a book club for bloggers. I'm not sure where to begin so if anyone has any suggestions they are welcome. Maybe we can vote on a book to read and then discuss it on one central blog. Or anyone who participates could suggest a book too. These are just ideas off the top of my head. I read a lot and I love to discuss the books I read so I figured this would be a good place to do it. Let me know what you think.

5 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

Luv, anyone that says that it doesn't matter is lying to themselves. Sure, you have some cool peeps in your corner so as not to hurt your feelings and they mean well, but they know that it would bother them a little too if Valz Day wasn't acknowledged in that teddybear, flowers and candy kind of way. However, having said that, I try not to ever let my wife get jealous of another woman receiving something from the florist. Can you imagine?

Consider it a form of pre-emptive Damage control!-lol
And Peanut looks like a fine lil gentleman. I think that you'll have a wonderful day though. I could be wrong, but he sure looks like one helluva catch for a sista (wink). -hey, that book club does sound pretty fly. I miss reading myself, but tend to check out a good audiobook every now and then. I'm game!

4:56 PM  
Blogger The G Perspective said...

Book club and discussion sounds awfully close to school but count me in. I've got a couple of suggestions too when it's time.

10:05 PM  
Blogger greggy said...

Meka...a pity the "older men" in your life won't take the time or effort to display such a simple act of affection like flowers, candy and/or the bear for V-Day. Peanut will make a great Valentines for you anyway, since it is all about the love. That certainly isn't pathetic to me. If you don't hear it from me again before the day then I'll say it again one more time...Happy (early) Valentines Day my friend!

11:48 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

girl...i'll admit, i get a lil jealous too, but i guess this year i'll be ok, maybe cuz i "kinda" got someone, but then again we're just friends, and he can't be with me on that day cuz i'm at school....but i've never had a valentine, cuz i never had a boyfriend...but that's ok...but i guess i've gotten to a point of 'i've been by my self forever, so why even worry about it"...but i feel you, i especially hate to see folks kissing and walking around with their ballons and teddy bear, or flowers, >:-O ...and that's just the cutest thing him laughing in his sleep! LOL i wouldve been SO tickled....

6:35 PM  
Blogger C.R.C. said...

I feel you Meka. As much as we play down v-day as a hallmark holiday, and play it off like we don't care, sometimes it does suck. Even if just a liiiiiittle.

The book club sounds like a good idea. It'll keep me up on new books. I went through books like candy last year, but since the new year, I haven't been reading as much. So, I'm up for it.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home