Thursday, July 14, 2005

Mothers?

No one knows me better than I know myself. Yet I keep getting told what I should do and what I need to do. It started with my mom last week. My son and I were over her house and he went for the crystal dish on her glass coffee table. So I picked it up and moved it to where he couldn’t reach it. You would have thought I threw it on the ground and smashed it. “Why are you moving that dish? Don’t move things you smack his hands so he won’t touch them.” WTF??? Why would I do that when I can just as easily move the dish out of his reach? I try not to spank my son. I had an overbearing father who spanked us if we made too much noise in the house. I think some Black people have a tendency to over punish their children. Children don’t need to be belittled and berated. Sometimes it’s ok to talk to your child. Spanking isn’t always the answer. Now that doesn’t mean I won’t tap some ass either. My son is headstrong. He will look me in my face and do the opposite of what I tell him to do. And I know he understands. So I’m sure as he gets older he’s got it coming to him. But right now he’s only 17 months. Moving a dish isn’t going to hurt me so why make the alternative spanking?

That was incident number one. Number two was when I walked into the house after going to the store and find a lollipop in his mouth. I am a fanatic when it comes to what my son eats. I think to much sugar is why we have kids on ADHD medicine, and why kids are so overweight. When I was a kid we could have as much candy as we wanted. There are pictures in our photo album of me sitting at the table with a plate of pig feet and chitterlings in front of us. And we were all overweight. We were allowed to sit in front of the TV for hours and hours as long as we were quiet and out of our parents way. I don’t want that for my son. I want him to eat a balanced diet and I want him to get plenty of fresh air and exercise. Now I’m not a Nazi either. I don’t put my baby on the treadmill or make him eat diet food or anything like that. But he does eat plenty of fruit and vegetables and I limit how much TV he watches. He does get candy but in very limited amounts. And if he’s already been drinking juice all day I don’t want him having candy on top of that. I’ve repeatedly asked them to cut back on the juice. Give him more water and milk. Or if you’re going to give him juice then make it half juice and half water. My pleas fall on deaf ears. It pisses me off.

Incident number three happened the other day. This was the last straw for me. I’m the type of person who can take a lot. A whole lot. But when I reach my breaking point then you better watch out. My son’s birthday is in January. Of course when it’s winter there are a lot of limitations when it comes to kid’s birthday parties. So about a month ago I mentioned maybe having a summer birthday party for him and just doing something small in January. I just mentioned it in passing and really haven’t thought anymore about it. Well Monday night when I was over my mom’s house I saw these birthday invitations with Barney on them. I asked her who they were for and she said they are for Peanuts birthday party. We’re having one next month in the backyard. We’ve already told some people but I still wanted to send out invitations. WHAT THE??? I love my mom, and I rarely lose my temper with her because I think it’s disrespectful, but I couldn’t hold it in. How the hell are you going to start planning a birthday party for my son? Who are you to do that? I told you last month that I was thinking about doing that myself. I haven’t been that mad at her in a while. I had to walk out before I said something I would regret. I’m still pissed. I just don’t understand her sometimes. She drives me crazy. I have male friends and they never go thru the drama with their mothers that I do with mine. But my female friends do. I wonder why that is. Why it's such a struggle for mothers and daughters to get along? I don't know but i'm thankful I have a son.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home