Thursday, August 04, 2005

Unexpectedness

You ever meet someone and you like them but you don’t like them? Then one day you realize they’ve sort of found their way into your subconscious? You find yourself thinking about them more and more, and you can’t figure out how or when it happened. That’s what I’m going thru right now. At first it seemed weird to me that I would be feeling like this because it’s so soon after things ended with my son’s father. I was talking to my sister about it last night and she made me realize that it isn’t soon. We haven’t been together as a couple since right after my son was born and before that there was a huge amount of time when we weren’t a couple either. In three years we’ve spent more time apart then together. The only thing that remained ‘couple-like ‘ between us was the sex. We never stopped having sex. And even that hasn’t been a regular thing because we live in different states. I guess I had sort of a pseudo-relationship with him. It’s been living a half-life for a very long time. But I digress… last night Max called me and we talked on the phone for 10 hours. I have not slept at all. Not one lick. The conversation was effortless and easy. I guess it always is in the beginning. He asked me about my life. Where I had been and where I wanted to go. We talked about the things I wanted for my son and what kind of parent I want to be. He laughed at me when I said certain things but laughed in a good way. Not mocking or patronizing. I never realized what a good conversationalist he is. I never realized how similar our views are. We never had the time in the past. He was always here one minute and then gone the next.

So this morning when we finally got off the phone, I started my getting ready for work routine. I get up first and take my shower and do all my hygiene rituals and pack my baby’s bag for the day then I get him up and dressed. Well this morning while I was packing his bag I realized I had been singing. Now I am not a morning person. I hate to get up, so singing is the last thing I’m doing. Bitching and complaining about going to work? Definitely. Never singing. But this morning I was. I felt a little funny in the stomach too. All nervous and jittery. It took me a second to realize what it was. Butterflies. I hadn’t had them in so long it had become an unrecognizable feeling. When you’ve been dealing with the same person and same stagnant issues for a while those feelings are refreshing. Even though I would never get involved with him romantically it’s nice to have the option.

Yesterday I was walking out of the store and a car full of young Black males stopped and the driver shouted out the window “ hey ho come here” his friend said “ I see you bitch with that fat ass and those big ass titties” “When you gonna let me get in that pussy?” When I didn’t reply he drove off but not before he spit out of the car window and said “fuck you then bitch you aint all that anyway.” This is disturbing on so many levels. First of all, I had my son with me. Had he been older he would have understood every word. Secondly there were people all around. I was so embarrassed not only for myself but for them also. I mean damn. How could anyone think that is acceptable behavior? Why was it ok in their minds to completely disrespect me and themselves? Why was it ok for them to expose my son to that verbal assault? I’m still pissed about it. I mean men have approached me before, but never like that. I didn’t even realize I was on the verge of tears until I got in my car and sat down. I don’t know if it was because my son was with me that it hit me so hard but the more I thought about it the madder I got. Are there women out there who would have ran over to the car to talk to them? Is this why they feel it's ok to talk to women like that? If so where are these women, cause we need to talk. All I know is if I EVER EVER EVER hear anything remotely like that come out of my son's mouth it's gonna be some jump off. That's just trifiln. UGH!!!!!!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Luke Cage said...

Damn luv. First, I didn't even think stupid asses still did sh#@ like that anymore. How little I knew. That's too bad that you had to be the recipient of such a harangue. Don't you dare waste your tears on them luv. They are definitely not worth it.

Second, which is actually in reference to the first part of your post, you're in that honeymoon phaze, or what I like to call the newness of possibilities. It's a great place to be especially considering what you've been thru.

At first, I thought when you said you were on the phone for 10 hours you were merely being metaphorical. But you really meant 10 HOURS! (smile) And I thought my 6 hours with my wife before she was my wife was long. Kudos to you and to him for things yet discovered, and what the future may bring. Have a great day miss Meka.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Black Wombmyn Chat said...

Midlife Crisis is sending a little love and healing your way. I remember being a skinny, undeveloped twelve year old and being terrified of the much older MEN who found it okay to sexually harrass a girl going to the store for her mother, or coming home from school.

Unfortunately, turning girls and women into sexual harrassment victums is an ugly part of urban Black culture. These younger guys have learned from the best.

10:09 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

What those guys said to you makes me mad as red. I don't understand people who are so dumb, who lack any communications skills or consience<---ooh, I messed up the spelling. But the first part of your post: I miss those days! My wife and I used to have those mega phone calls, too.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Ananse's Web said...

I like this post a lot…..here is why

That part of the relationship where is everything is rose colored is the bestest ever! The talking for hours and getting to know each other ahhhh….I love that part. Its when things are fresh and new and there are countless possibilities….

The second part…I got mad just reading it. Because unfortunately there are girls who go up when they “ah yo ma” out the car windows all giggling and giddy and shit, so that’s why they think they can do that. My problem is….and this is NOT something I advise you to do, is my TEMPER. I have had to be dragged away by my girls because I will STEP to a dude on that. I get right up in their faces and go toe to toe like who the hell do you think you are talking and you have no right. Respect NIGGAS. Shyyyyt I am getting mad just typing this…whew. You know that’s how it is these days these little boys running around and acting like a bunch of asses and it is TOTALLY irresponsible for them to be talking like that in front of a kid. So my thing to you mama is “train your child in the way he should grow and when he is old he will not depart from it”. Teach him from little to respect a woman and not come out his face with that bull. Take that time and make the effort to cultivate a man and not a nigga on the straight….

10:12 AM  
Blogger Schatzi said...

You said it! That's EXACTLY why they'll approach a woman that way. Because there are SO many that will run up to the car throwing their P***Y in their face!

I'm happy that you have found someone that will give you butterflies! It's a GREAT feeling. Even if it is starting out at a friendship.. It feels good!

10:24 AM  
Blogger Toya said...

i think sometimes some females to go to their car thinking it's cute...it's sad...and sometimes i think the guys be trying to be funny and embarass people on purpose...like you i just ignore them, but i be wanting to bust their head open with a brick...they have a lack of respect...probably no good home training from their mother because she should tell them to never talk to a female that way...unless they just let their friends really influence them....but yea, a week ago i was walking home...now i asked my male friend to walk me home, but he had to do work at the library cuz he had a paper due....so i walked home, and this was the first time in a long time this happened...i'm at a college town, but these males still act stupid sometimes down here...but i was walking, probably looking mean as all ways, cuz i dont want folks bothering me, but these two guys were coming out of this building, and one of the guys was like "hey baby can i walk with you?"....i just kept on walking because i dont stop for no male unless he comes up and says "hello how are you doing"...i dont stop for no "hey baby"...so i kept walking then he gonna say "oh you too good to walk with me?" and him and his friend laughed...i swear some people are so stupid....

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home