Thursday, August 11, 2005

Abuse, Sesame Place, and Moving

I just got off the phone with a girlfriend of mine and I’m reeling from the conversation. She has been going thru so much with her husband. They have been married for about 5 years and he’s only treated her well for about 5 minutes. He has beat her ass on numerous occasions and I can’t count how many times I’ve had late night phone calls with her crying over him. I can’t count the times I’ve put on my clothes and driven to her house to sit with her because she was scared. I can’t count how many conversations I’ve had with him where he wouldn’t even admit he put his hands on her. All he would say is he was stressed because he couldn’t find a job and take care of his family, or stressed because he other children’s mother keeps taking him to court for child support, or he was stressed because it’s been raining outside (no joke, he seriously said that). This morning I find out her daughter’s hair is falling out. She’s taken her to several doctors and a dermatologist and they can’t tell her what’s wrong. They all asked her was there any stress in the home or is she going thru any major changes in her life. This fool said no. Hello? No stress. They fight constantly and the last time I went over there both of the girls were sitting right at the kitchen table eating dinner and crying their eyes out. So I can’t begin to imagine how many times that little scenario has played out. If that isn’t stress what the hell is? I grew up in a house like that and by the time I was 12 I had an ulcer. If adults don’t think kids suffer from their stupidity they are sadly mistaken. I also found out this morning that he’s been gone for six days and she’s worried about him. What the fuck? You’re worried about him? The man that punches your lights out so much we call him the electric man? She should fall on her knees and pray he doesn’t come back. How stupid do you have to be? I think at this point she likes it. I think she would rather have negative attention then no attention at all. I experienced this kind of mess at an early age. My dad beat my mom’s ass one night and stabbed her in the head with a screwdriver. I wake up the next morning and go into their room and blood was everywhere. I mean everywhere. On the floor the walls the bed… it was horrible. She fell. Can you believe that shit? I find out a few months later after she fled to Texas what really happened. She came back. Six months later she’s fleeing from our house half naked trying to get away from him. Those are the two times that I know of. How many times did I not know about? The thing I try to impart to her is sometime the abuse spills over to the children. My dad beat our ass. We were punched and slapped and pushed all the time. How long before he starts putting his hands on their girls, if he hasn’t already? What I don’t understand is why this doesn’t make sense to her. Why does it seem like I’m speaking a foreign language to her. How can a reasonably smart woman let this shit happen? It’s not like she doesn’t have anything going for her. She’s got a good job, the house she’s in is in her name only, and her mom baby-sits her kids and helps her out so she has family support. Why doesn’t she leave him? She keeps saying that all she knows is abusive relationships because she grew up in that kind of house. She and I have been friends since the 9th grade and it’s no secret that her dad used to beat her mom’s ass. On the regular. Like he was getting paid to do it. But wouldn’t that make you want different for your children and yourself? It did for me. I keep trying to figure out the difference between us. We both came from abusive homes so why is that she will put up with that shit and I absolutely will not? I don’t know. What I do know is I’m done. I’m going to have to love her from a distance until she can love herself and her kids enough to leave him. I can’t help her anymore. She’s going to have to help herself and learn to stand on her own two feet. She’s going to have to decide when the last hit will be the last hit. Hopefully it won’t be to late.

On a less depressing note, we are taking our baby to Sesame Place next week. I am so excited. He’s going to have such a good time. I just hope it’s not too hot. I do not do well in the heat. I don’t care who you are; you can’t be cute when it’s 110 on the heat index. I think the melting point of cuteness, divaness, and sexiness is around 100 degrees. Either way we are going. There are water rides so I’ll just have to stay on them if it’s really hot. Right now my mission is getting in for free. My sister can get four free military passes to the park. She’s not going to use them and of course I don’t want them to go to waste so I’m trying to finesse the situation. I think the biggest problem will be me not having military i.d. You just reserve your tickets and when you get to the gate you have to show i.d. I’ll have to figure a way around that one cause free is definitely better than $40 a ticket.

Has anyone but me had mosquito bites that have lasted for like two weeks? I mean I got bit on the top of my foot almost two weeks ago and this thing is still itching. It’s starting to hurt and get all red and puffy. We must have some mutant alien mosquitoes in Delaware.

Anyway… I want to move my blog somewhere else or at least find a template that I like. When I started blogging I didn’t know all the options that where out there. So I picked a basic Blogger template and researched how to make rudimentary changes to it and that’s how I got the purple on the black. I don’t even like purple, I was just so proud of myself for being able to do that little bit, that I left it. Now I see other people’s blogs and they look so pretty and nice. Can someone take pity on me and please please please tell me how I can get a better template on Blogger or move to a site where the templates are nicer and more abundant? I would greatly appreciate it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Schatzi said...

First off.. ((HUGS)) for going thru an abusive childhood! And I'm SO proud that you made the decision you did and want better for your son!

I have a friend like your friend. I even blogged about it once before. Her husband is very abusive and she has NO friends because of him. She came to my house w/out him knowing and he showed up. Her oldest daughter BEGGED me not to open the door because he was going to hurt my friend. Sad!!! But it came to a point that I had to let the friendship go. I was always there for her and rescued her SO many times... Only for her to go back. I haven't spoken to her since Feb. I misses my nieces (that's what they were to me).. But she hasn't called either.

About the templates. If you go to blogskins.com, they have HUNDREDS to chose from. That's where I got mine. You just have to have the time to sort thru them. They have some really nice ones. Let me know if you need help!

1:13 PM  
Blogger Luke Cage said...

Damn Meka. This has to be one of the deepest posts that I have ever seen you address luv. There is a serious range of emotions here and I'll address the 2 that I can.

First, whatever you do. Pack your posts up, your archives, your friends list and anything pertaining to your blog, leave and DON'T. LOOK. BACK. -lol Blogger is on a serious mission right now. I try to post, it takes days before the blog posts, i can't delete things, I can't do shit over here. I've been with Blogger for 3 years, and for the most part it has been mostly without incident.

But they stink now, for the past few months. Constant hangups. Half of the blogworld that started on Blogger have moved elsewhere. Yes, they are free, but they are too damn troublesome. What the fugg! I'm looking around now for a new home dear.I hear that Blogsome & TypePad got it going on. I like to create my own templates so I need to find a site that will let me be as creative as I want to be. But more of that to come. Let me know where you end up going luv.

Second: I've been on both ends of the spectrum. Beaten by dad, and seen friends of mine beaten by their S.O.'s (Significant Others) -it's painful on both ends. Especially when you can't see why they won't leave. My mom got into a good one on my b-day no less, and it was ugly. After that fight, my mom took the 4 of us, and her mother, gathered her things and left!

Broke the fugg out. Good for you mom. I've made peace with my father, my mom has since passed, Now, I try to instill in my female friends. He hits you, you call the cops. You put his ass in jail. In fact, lock that ass under the friggin' jail. But some of them won't do it. Some of them actually believe that they are to blame for their men hitting them (!!!)

This mentality floors the shit out of me. I've wanted to bail on a couple of them too. But I can't pull myself to do it. Reconsider pulling out Meka. I know why you would because you can't bear to stand the pain of watching someone you love go thru that. But I was always afraid what would happen if I were gone. Even though, i wasn't able to stop it when I was there. Just think about it for a minute. I feel your pain, I truly do.

But consider the pain that they have to go through. And we'll find out it's nothing like what they are experiencing. Have fun in Sesame Place dear. You guys deserve it!

6:18 PM  
Blogger Don Tate II said...

I knew someone like that. Too close to me to identify who they are, but I refused to help them until they were ready to be helped. When she finally reached the point where I could reach her, I was there.

8:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be there for your friend. Now is when she needs you most.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Ananse's Web said...

Girl your blog looks GREAT! I love this template thing you got going on. Please please please help me!!! I am so tired of my template that it is a damn shame. If you have any tips I will GLADLY take them. Lol

As for your friend, you are being a great friend by standing by here and I don’t think you should give up on her just yet. I know its probably taking its toll on you I think if you are there for the kids at least to be an outlet for them it would be great. I know when I was under extreme stress my hair had starting falling out at one point too so I know that its stress that is doing that to her child. I think you need to draw that to her attention. And no pussy footing around it….be upfront and let her know that she needs to start worrying about her kids welfare otherwise they will grow to either resent her or be disrespectful to her “weakness”, and putting this man above them.

11:51 AM  
Blogger YouToldHarpoTaBeatMe said...

That's pretty sad about your friend. I'm going to piggyback off Miki's comment. That man has killed her spirit, to the point that she may feel as if she feels that no one else will have her. I'm pretty sure he has put that notion in her head hundreds of times.To see her own folks go through it, she may even have a contorted concept that that's the way it is or is suppose to be.

I know you're tired of seeing her go through this, but you may very well be the only one she can reach out to. Keep her in prayer that one day, she gets the strength to gather up her children and never look back.

8:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*sigh* I'm so sorry you went through that. And sorrier still for your friend.

Well you know abuse is a vicious cycle... you can say "get out," and "why doesn't she want better for her family," but it's not that she doesn't WANT to leave, or that she doesn't WANT better. She does. She just doesn't know how. Anymore than the sexual predator who was repeatedly raped as a child knows how to stop.

Abuse, whether sexual, verbal, physical, etc. is a cycle. And cycles are very hard to break.

It seems easy... but take it from me... I was in an abuse relationship for 3 out of the 5 years I was with the guy. And as miserable as I was (my mother said I hadn't cried that much since I was 6 months old) leaving was STILL one of the hardest things I've ever done. =)

Thank you for this post. =)

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I was just looking around the net for web sites related to minded relationship and came across your blog. I was going to add a blog to my site, for minded relationship and of course other related material, but I'm not sure if it would work.
I'm a bit worried about getting un-wanted 'rude' posts rather than ones related to minded relationship on my site...... perhaps I just try it out - then you can come and post on it :)

Take care
Stewart

2:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home